Yesterday, I spent half a day in the garden. First I harvested, then I started weeding and ripped out all but one of the surviving squash. I hoed all the open spaces and mulched. Then I got my seed packets out and tried to figure out what I could plant. It turned out to be most of what I intended.
I had planted garlic last week on the border of my plot but was only able to put the cloves of one bulb in. Yesterday, I put in the cloves of the second bulb. I planted turnips and cauliflower behind the tomatoes where the Italian kale and cucumbers had been. One row in from the garlic, I planted the Russian kale. Between the chard and the peppers, I planted spinach and between the chard and the okra, I put in Tom Thumb lettuce.
Then I turned to the entry of the garden where the squash had been and there was much more space. There I put in beets, radishes, carrots and the second row of garlic, and a row of Romaine lettuce. I also planted a few peas along my fence and some fairly close to the okra, thinking they might work as a trellis, provided the rabbits don’t eat all the new shoots. I still want to put arugula in, but that can wait until another space opens up.